Hi, I'm Josue Ortega, a lecturer in economics at Queen's University Belfast.
My research studies how to allocate scarce resources fairly and efficiently, both theoretically and using data. Applications of my research include the design of algorithms to assign pupils to schools, divide land among nations, or the analysis of the effects of online dating. My research is interdisciplinary and I often write articles in collaboration with computer scientists and sociologists.
I have published in Games and Economic Behavior, the Journal of Mathematical Economics, Social Choice and Welfare, Economics Letters and Mathematical Social Sciences. My research has been covered by The Economist, the Times, the Financial Times, the MIT Technology Review and Forbes, among others.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Glasgow in 2017 under the supervision of Hervé Moulin.
List of Publications
1. Fair cake-cutting in practice, Games and Economic Behavior (2022).
with M. Kyropoulou and E. Segal-Halevi, extended abstract in EC.
2. Obvious manipulations in cake-cutting, Social Choice and Welfare (2022).
with E. Segal-Halevi.
3. On the integration of Shapley-Scarf housing markets, Journal of Mathematical Economics (2022).
with K. Manocha and R. Kumar, extended abstract in SAGT.
4. Efficiency and fairness in cake-cutting with single-peaked preferences, Economics Letters (2020).
with B. Bhardwaj and R. Kumar.
5. Multi-unit assignment under dichotomous preferences, Mathematical Social Sciences (2020).
6. The losses from integration in matching markets can be large, Economics Letters (2019).
7. Equality of opportunity and integration in social networks, Physica A (2019).
8. Social integration in two-sided matching markets, Journal of Mathematical Economics (2018).
1. Improving efficiency and equality in school choice, with T. Klein
accepted @ the 2022 Match-Up workshop
2. Social integration via online dating, with P. Hergovich.
3. What happens when separate and unequal school districts merge?, with R. Aue and T. Klein
Match-UP 2022 (program committee).
Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Mathematical Economics, Social Choice and Welfare, International Journal of Game Theory, Economic Inquiry, Theory and Decision, Social Networks, Mathematical Social Sciences, Journal of Demographic Economics, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, Stochastic Systems, AMS Mathematical Reviews, Games.
21st ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, 14th Conference on Web and Internet Economics, 3rd and 4th Games, Agents & Incentives Workshop.