Hi, I am a senior lecturer in economics at Queen's University Belfast.
My research studies how to allocate scarce resources fairly and efficiently, both theoretically and using data. Applications of my research include the design of algorithms to assign pupils to schools or to divide land among countries.
I have published in Games and Economic Behavior, the Journal of Mathematical Economics, Social Choice and Welfare, Economics Letters and Mathematical Social Sciences. My research has been covered by The Economist, the Financial Times, the MIT Technology Review, BBC's Thinking Allowed and Forbes. I am/have been on the program committee for the 2022 Matching in Practice Workshop and the 2023 Conference on Economics and Computation.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Glasgow in 2017 under the supervision of Hervé Moulin.
1. What happens when separate and unequal school districts merge?, with R. Aue and T. Klein
review and resubmit, Games and Economic Behavior
2. Improving efficiency and equality in school choice, with T. Klein
invited for submission, Games and Economic Behavior special issue
extended abstract in Match-UP 2022 [slides]
3. Social integration via online dating, with P. Hergovich.
1. Fair cake-cutting in practice, Games and Economic Behavior (2022).
with M. Kyropoulou and E. Segal-Halevi, extended abstract in EC.
2. Obvious manipulations in cake-cutting, Social Choice and Welfare (2022).
with E. Segal-Halevi.
3. On the integration of Shapley-Scarf housing markets, Journal of Mathematical Economics (2022).
with K. Manocha and R. Kumar, extended abstract in SAGT.
4. Efficiency and fairness in cake-cutting with single-peaked preferences, Economics Letters (2020).
with B. Bhardwaj and R. Kumar.
5. Multi-unit assignment under dichotomous preferences, Mathematical Social Sciences (2020).
6. The losses from integration in matching markets can be large, Economics Letters (2019).
7. Social integration in two-sided matching markets, Journal of Mathematical Economics (2018).
Refereeing and Editorial Activities
Program Committee: Match-UP 2022, EC 2023.
Journals: Journal of Economic Theory, Management Science, Journal of Mathematical Economics, Social Choice and Welfare, International Journal of Game Theory, Economic Inquiry, Theory and Decision, Social Networks, Mathematical Social Sciences, Journal of Demographic Economics, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, Stochastic Systems, AMS Mathematical Reviews, Games.
Conferences: Match-UP 2021, 21st and 24th ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, 14th Conference on Web and Internet Economics, 3rd, 4th and 5th Games, Agents & Incentives Workshop.
Guest Editor: PLOS One.
Awards and Grants
ESRC Impact Acceleration (£24,400).
British Academy small grant (£10,000).
Seal of Excellence for Marie Curie fellowship (€162,806).
Design and impact of admissions rules for schools, Leibniz Association (€330,000).
Improving school admissions for diversity, Leibniz Association (€340,000).
North America Research Mobility Fund.
QUB Faculty Research Initiatives Fund.
EssexLab Seedcorn Fund Grant.
Glasgow - Columbia Principal's Early Career Mobility Fund.
Early Career Mathematician Prize for the best article in Mathematics Today in 2016
M: main advisor; W: wrote recommendation letters for the job market.
Ngoc Anh Pham (W). First placement: University of Southampton.